Fanout vs Firehose.io: What are the differences?
What is Fanout? Realtime APIs made simple. Fanout makes it easy to build realtime APIs and apps. The product is a cross between a reverse proxy and a message broker. Receivers subscribe to channels, and published data is delivered in realtime.
Fanout and Firehose.io belong to "Realtime Backend / API" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Fanout are:
- Reverse proxy -- integrate realtime with any level of your technology stack, not just your front end.
- Interoperable -- Add realtime to any API, no matter your backend or database, without changing any of your existing API contracts.
- Open -- cloud or self hosted, it’s up to you. We don’t believe in vendor lock-in.
On the other hand, Firehose.io provides the following key features:
- Firehose embraces RESTful design prinicpals and consequently works great with any library that speaks HTTP
- Integrates with Backbone.js and Ember.js
- Hook it into an ORM, like ActiveRecord