Fanout vs Nchan: What are the differences?
What is Fanout? Realtime APIs made simple. Fanout makes it easy to build realtime APIs and apps. The product is a cross between a reverse proxy and a message broker. Receivers subscribe to channels, and published data is delivered in realtime.
What is Nchan? A scalable, flexible pub/sub server for the modern web. It is built as a module for the Nginx web server. It can be configured as a standalone server, or as a shim between your application and hundreds, thousands, or millions of live subscribers. It can buffer messages in memory, on-disk, or via Redis.
Fanout and Nchan can be categorized as "Realtime Backend / API" tools.
Some of the features offered by Fanout are:
- Reverse proxy -- integrate realtime with any level of your technology stack, not just your front end.
- Interoperable -- Add realtime to any API, no matter your backend or database, without changing any of your existing API contracts.
- Open -- cloud or self hosted, it’s up to you. We don’t believe in vendor lock-in.
On the other hand, Nchan provides the following key features:
- flexible pub/sub server
- Horizontally scalable (using Redis)
- Subscribe to hundreds of channels over a single subscriber connection.
Nchan is an open source tool with 2.35K GitHub stars and 243 GitHub forks. Here's a link to Nchan's open source repository on GitHub.