Google Cloud Messaging vs Urban Airship: What are the differences?
Google Cloud Messaging: Simple and reliable messaging to reach over a billion devices. Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) is a free service that enables developers to send messages between servers and client apps. This includes downstream messages from servers to client apps, and upstream messages from client apps to servers; Urban Airship: Improve customer engagement with push notifications, location-based marketing and analytics. We’ve built the smartest, most aware, precise, easy-to-use, scalable, secure and powerful push messaging platform on the planet. Our Push messaging platform leverages all that is unique about mobile as a channel, and that lights the spark to create meaningful and valuable mobile experiences. We help put your app in front of your users at the right time, and in the right place to drive usage and brand engagement.
Google Cloud Messaging and Urban Airship can be categorized as "Mobile Push Messaging" tools.
Some of the features offered by Google Cloud Messaging are:
- Versatile Messaging Targets: Distribute messages to your client app in any of three ways — to single devices, to groups of devices, or to devices subscribed to topics.
- Downstream Messaging: For purposes such as alerting users, chat messaging or kicking off background processing before the user opens the client app, GCM provides a reliable and battery-efficient connection between your server and devices.
- Upstream Messaging: Send acknowledgments, chats, and other messages from devices back to your server over GCM’s reliable and battery-efficient connection channel.
On the other hand, Urban Airship provides the following key features:
- Industry’s best Push Messaging (with up to 1M messages per month, free).
- Ready to go, proven and can be working in your app within hours.
- Flexible APIs to drop in as-is or to completely customize.
"Free" is the primary reason why developers consider Google Cloud Messaging over the competitors, whereas "Ios integration" was stated as the key factor in picking Urban Airship.
According to the StackShare community, Google Cloud Messaging has a broader approval, being mentioned in 18 company stacks & 8 developers stacks; compared to Urban Airship, which is listed in 14 company stacks and 3 developer stacks.