Hadoop vs TokuMX: What are the differences?
What is Hadoop? Open-source software for reliable, scalable, distributed computing. The Apache Hadoop software library is a framework that allows for the distributed processing of large data sets across clusters of computers using simple programming models. It is designed to scale up from single servers to thousands of machines, each offering local computation and storage.
What is TokuMX? A high-performance, concurrent, compressing, drop-in replacement engine for MongoDB. TokuMX is a drop-in replacement for MongoDB, and offers 20X performance improvements, 90% reduction in database size, and support for ACID transactions with MVCC. TokuMX has the same binaries, supports the same drivers, data model, and features of MongoDB, because it shares much of its code with MongoDB.
Hadoop and TokuMX belong to "Databases" category of the tech stack.
"Great ecosystem" is the primary reason why developers consider Hadoop over the competitors, whereas "When your two-week MongoDB love affair ends, try this" was stated as the key factor in picking TokuMX.
Hadoop and TokuMX are both open source tools. Hadoop with 9.26K GitHub stars and 5.78K forks on GitHub appears to be more popular than TokuMX with 679 GitHub stars and 90 GitHub forks.
What is Hadoop?
What is TokuMX?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
What are the cons of using Hadoop?
What are the cons of using TokuMX?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
Since the beginning, Cal Henderson has been the CTO of Slack. Earlier this year, he commented on a Quora question summarizing their current stack.Apps
- Desktop: And Electron to ship it as a desktop application.
- Android: a mix of Java and Kotlin.
- iOS: written in a mix of Objective C and Swift.
- The core application and the API written in PHP/Hack that runs on HHVM.
- The data is stored in MySQL using Vitess.
- Caching is done using Memcached and MCRouter.
- The search service takes help from SolrCloud, with various Java services.
- The messaging system uses WebSockets with many services in Java and Go.
- Load balancing is done using HAproxy with Consul for configuration.
- Most services talk to each other over gRPC,
- Some Thrift and JSON-over-HTTP
- Voice and video calling service was built in Elixir.
- Built using open source tools including Presto, Spark, Airflow, Hadoop and Kafka.
The MapReduce workflow starts to process experiment data nightly when data of the previous day is copied over from Kafka. At this time, all the raw log requests are transformed into meaningful experiment results and in-depth analysis. To populate experiment data for the dashboard, we have around 50 jobs running to do all the calculations and transforms of data.
in 2009 we open sourced mrjob, which allows any engineer to write a MapReduce job without contending for resources. We’re only limited by the amount of machines in an Amazon data center (which is an issue we’ve rarely encountered).
The massive volume of discovery data that powers Pinterest and enables people to save Pins, create boards and follow other users, is generated through daily Hadoop jobs...
Importing/Exporting data, interpreting results. Possible integration with SAS