What is RethinkDB?
Who uses RethinkDB?
Why developers like RethinkDB?
Here are some stack decisions, common use cases and reviews by companies and developers who chose RethinkDB in their tech stack.
We initially chose RethinkDB because of the schema-less document store features, and better durability resilience/story than MongoDB In the end, it didn't work out quite as we expected: there's plenty of scalability issues, it's near impossible to run analytical workloads and small community makes working with Rethink a challenge. We're in process of migrating all our workloads to PostgreSQL and hopefully, we will be able to decommission our RethinkDB deployment soon.
Main database, using it in multiple datacenters in an active-active configuration. RethinkDB
- JSON data model and immediate consistency.
- Distributed joins, subqueries, aggregation, atomic updates.
- Secondary, compound, and arbitrarily computed indexes.
- Hadoop-style map/reduce.
- Friendly web and command-line administration tools.
- Takes care of machine failures and network interrupts.
- Multi-datacenter replication and failover.
- Sharding and replication to multiple nodes.
- Queries are automatically parallelized and distributed.
- Lock-free operation via MVCC concurrency.