Metalsmith vs Wintersmith: What are the differences?
What is Metalsmith? An extremely simple, pluggable static site generator. In Metalsmith, all of the logic is handled by plugins. You simply chain them together. Since everything is a plugin, the core library is actually just an abstraction for manipulating a directory of files.
What is Wintersmith? Flexible, minimalistic, multi-platform static site generator built on top of node.js. Wintersmith is a simple yet flexible static site generator. It takes contents (markdown, less, scripts, etc), transforms them using plugins and outputs a static website (html, css, images, etc) that you can host anywhere.
Metalsmith and Wintersmith belong to "Static Site Generators" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Metalsmith are:
- Read template files from a directory
- Parse files for template placeholders
- Prompt user to fill in each placeholder
On the other hand, Wintersmith provides the following key features:
- Flexible - Wintersmith tries not to put any limitations on how you work with your content. You can transform it using plugins and structure it as you please.
- Templating - Use your favorite templating engine, it comes bundled with a Jade plugin and there is community made plugins for most other node.js templating engines.
- Markdown - No more fiddling around with WYSIWYG editors. Once you start using Markdown to author your content you'll never look back!
Metalsmith and Wintersmith are both open source tools. Metalsmith with 7.27K GitHub stars and 640 forks on GitHub appears to be more popular than Wintersmith with 3.48K GitHub stars and 349 GitHub forks.