Superset vs Tableau: What are the differences?
Developers describe Superset as "Data exploration and visualization platform, by Airbnb". Superset's main goal is to make it easy to slice, dice and visualize data. It empowers users to perform analytics at the speed of thought. On the other hand, Tableau is detailed as "Tableau helps people see and understand data". Tableau can help anyone see and understand their data. Connect to almost any database, drag and drop to create visualizations, and share with a click.
Superset and Tableau can be categorized as "Business Intelligence" tools.
Some of the features offered by Superset are:
- A rich set of visualizations to analyze your data, as well as a flexible way to extend the capabilities
- An extensible, high granularity security model allowing intricate rules on who can access which features, and integration with major authentication providers (database, OpenID, LDAP, OAuth & REMOTE_USER through Flask AppBuiler)
- A simple semantic layer, allowing to control how data sources are displayed in the UI, by defining which fields should show up in which dropdown and which aggregation and function (metrics) are made available to the user
On the other hand, Tableau provides the following key features:
- Connect to data on prem or in the cloud—whether it’s big data, a SQL database, a spreadsheet, or cloud apps like Google Analytics and Salesforce. Access and combine disparate data without writing code. Power users can pivot, split, and manage metadata to optimize data sources. Analysis begins with data. Get more from yours with Tableau.
- Exceptional analytics demand more than a pretty dashboard. Quickly build powerful calculations from existing data, drag and drop reference lines and forecasts, and review statistical summaries. Make your point with trend analyses, regressions, and correlations for tried and true statistical understanding. Ask new questions, spot trends, identify opportunities, and make data-driven decisions with confidence.
- Answer the “where” as well as the “why.” Create interactive maps automatically. Built-in postal codes mean lightning-fast mapping for more than 50 countries worldwide. Use custom geocodes and territories for personalized regions, like sales areas. We designed Tableau maps specifically to help your data stand out.
Superset is an open source tool with 25.1K GitHub stars and 4.83K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Superset's open source repository on GitHub.
According to the StackShare community, Tableau has a broader approval, being mentioned in 67 company stacks & 38 developers stacks; compared to Superset, which is listed in 18 company stacks and 5 developer stacks.