ActorDB vs RethinkDB: What are the differences?
Developers describe ActorDB as "Distributed SQL database with linear scalability". ActorDB is a distributed SQL database.. with the scalability of a KV store, while keeping the query capabilities of a relational database. ActorDB is ideal as a server side database for apps.. On the other hand, RethinkDB is detailed as "JSON. Scales to multiple machines with very little effort. Open source". RethinkDB is built to store JSON documents, and scale to multiple machines with very little effort. It has a pleasant query language that supports really useful queries like table joins and group by, and is easy to setup and learn.
ActorDB and RethinkDB can be primarily classified as "Databases" tools.
Some of the features offered by ActorDB are:
- Complete horizontal scalability. All nodes are equivalent and you can have as many nodes as you need.
- Full featured ACID database.
- Suitable for very large datasets over many actors and servers.
On the other hand, RethinkDB provides the following key features:
- JSON data model and immediate consistency.
- Distributed joins, subqueries, aggregation, atomic updates.
- Secondary, compound, and arbitrarily computed indexes.
ActorDB and RethinkDB are both open source tools. RethinkDB with 22.4K GitHub stars and 1.74K forks on GitHub appears to be more popular than ActorDB with 1.76K GitHub stars and 67 GitHub forks.