Amazon EMR vs Google BigQuery: What are the differences?
What is Amazon EMR? Distribute your data and processing across a Amazon EC2 instances using Hadoop. Amazon EMR is used in a variety of applications, including log analysis, web indexing, data warehousing, machine learning, financial analysis, scientific simulation, and bioinformatics. Customers launch millions of Amazon EMR clusters every year.
What is Google BigQuery? Analyze terabytes of data in seconds. Run super-fast, SQL-like queries against terabytes of data in seconds, using the processing power of Google's infrastructure Load data with ease. Bulk load your data using Google Cloud Storage or stream it in. Easy access. Access BigQuery by using a browser tool, a command-line tool, or by making calls to the BigQuery REST API with client libraries such as Java, PHP or Python..
Amazon EMR and Google BigQuery belong to "Big Data as a Service" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Amazon EMR are:
- Elastic- Amazon EMR enables you to quickly and easily provision as much capacity as you need and add or remove capacity at any time. Deploy multiple clusters or resize a running cluster
- Low Cost- Amazon EMR is designed to reduce the cost of processing large amounts of data. Some of the features that make it low cost include low hourly pricing, Amazon EC2 Spot integration, Amazon EC2 Reserved Instance integration, elasticity, and Amazon S3 integration.
- Flexible Data Stores- With Amazon EMR, you can leverage multiple data stores, including Amazon S3, the Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS), and Amazon DynamoDB.
On the other hand, Google BigQuery provides the following key features:
- All behind the scenes- Your queries can execute asynchronously in the background, and can be polled for status.
- Import data with ease- Bulk load your data using Google Cloud Storage or stream it in bursts of up to 1,000 rows per second.
- Affordable big data- The first Terabyte of data processed each month is free.
"On demand processing power" is the primary reason why developers consider Amazon EMR over the competitors, whereas "High Performance" was stated as the key factor in picking Google BigQuery.
According to the StackShare community, Google BigQuery has a broader approval, being mentioned in 160 company stacks & 41 developers stacks; compared to Amazon EMR, which is listed in 95 company stacks and 18 developer stacks.
What is Amazon EMR?
What is Google BigQuery?
Want advice about which of these to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Amazon EMR?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
BigQuery allows our team to pull reports quickly using a SQL-like queries against our large store of data about social sharing. We use the information throughout the company, to do everything from making internal product decisions based on usage patterns to sharing certain kinds of custom reports with our publishers.
Aggregation of user events and traits across a marketing website, SaaS web application, user account provisioning backend and Salesforce CRM. Enables full-funnel analysis of campaign ROI, customer acquisition, engagement and retention at both the user and target account level.