CARTO vs Mapbox: What are the differences?
Developers describe CARTO as "The CARTO platform empowers business analysts, data scientists and more, to turn location data into business outcomes". The CARTO platform empowers everyone, from business analysts to data scientists, to turn location data into business outcomes. We accelerate innovation, power new use cases and disrupt business models through Location Intelligence. On the other hand, Mapbox is detailed as "Design and publish beautiful maps". We make it possible to pin travel spots on Pinterest, find restaurants on Foursquare, and visualize data on GitHub.
CARTO and Mapbox can be primarily classified as "Mapping APIs" tools.
Some of the features offered by CARTO are:
- Drag and drop data import allows you to create visualizations in seconds
- Make sense of your location data and power your business.
- Create beautiful visualizations with our easy to use design and styling tools.
On the other hand, Mapbox provides the following key features:
- Build native applications on iOS with the Mapbox iOS SDK or on iOS and OS X with MBXMapKit.
- Build native applications for Android. Use Mapbox, OpenStreetMap, and other tile sources in your app, as well as overlays like GeoJSON data and interactive tooltips.
CARTO is an open source tool with 2.18K GitHub stars and 601 GitHub forks. Here's a link to CARTO's open source repository on GitHub.