Fabric.js vs Hack: What are the differences?
What is Fabric.js? The easiest way to work with HTML5 canvas. It provides interactive object model on top of canvas element. Fabric also has SVG-to-canvas (and canvas-to-SVG) parser. Using Fabric.js, you can create and populate objects on canvas; objects like simple geometrical shapes.
What is Hack? A programming language for HHVM that interoperates seamlessly with PHP. Hack provides instantaneous type checking via a local server that watches the filesystem. It typically runs in less than 200 milliseconds, making it easy to integrate into your development workflow without introducing a noticeable delay.
Fabric.js and Hack can be primarily classified as "Languages" tools.
Fabric.js is an open source tool with 13.2K GitHub stars and 2.14K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Fabric.js's open source repository on GitHub.
What is Fabric.js?
What is Hack?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Why do developers choose Fabric.js?
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Fabric.js?
What are the cons of using Hack?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Throughout 2016, Slack began migrating from PHP5 to Hack. They cite several well-known challenges inherent to PHP, including surprise type conversions, inconsistency around reference semantics, inconsistencies in the standard library, and the fact that “PHP tries very, very hard to keep the request running, even if it has done something deeply strange.”
To overcome these challenges while maintaining the unique values of PHP, Slack turned to Hack, a gradual typing system for PHP. Hack runs on the HipHop Virtual Machine, or HHVM, an open source just-in-time (JIT) environment for PHP.
Since the beginning, Cal Henderson has been the CTO of Slack. Earlier this year, he commented on a Quora question summarizing their current stack.Apps
- Desktop: And Electron to ship it as a desktop application.
- Android: a mix of Java and Kotlin.
- iOS: written in a mix of Objective C and Swift.
- The core application and the API written in PHP/Hack that runs on HHVM.
- The data is stored in MySQL using Vitess.
- Caching is done using Memcached and MCRouter.
- The search service takes help from SolrCloud, with various Java services.
- The messaging system uses WebSockets with many services in Java and Go.
- Load balancing is done using HAproxy with Consul for configuration.
- Most services talk to each other over gRPC,
- Some Thrift and JSON-over-HTTP
- Voice and video calling service was built in Elixir.
- Built using open source tools including Presto, Spark, Airflow, Hadoop and Kafka.