Grafana vs Superset: What are the differences?
What is Grafana? Open source Graphite & InfluxDB Dashboard and Graph Editor. Grafana is a general purpose dashboard and graph composer. It's focused on providing rich ways to visualize time series metrics, mainly though graphs but supports other ways to visualize data through a pluggable panel architecture. It currently has rich support for for Graphite, InfluxDB and OpenTSDB. But supports other data sources via plugins.
What is Superset? Data exploration and visualization platform, by Airbnb. Superset's main goal is to make it easy to slice, dice and visualize data. It empowers users to perform analytics at the speed of thought.
Grafana can be classified as a tool in the "Monitoring Tools" category, while Superset is grouped under "Business Intelligence".
Some of the features offered by Grafana are:
- Create, edit, save & search dashboards
- Change column spans and row heights
- Drag and drop panels to rearrange
On the other hand, Superset provides the following key features:
- A rich set of visualizations to analyze your data, as well as a flexible way to extend the capabilities
- An extensible, high granularity security model allowing intricate rules on who can access which features, and integration with major authentication providers (database, OpenID, LDAP, OAuth & REMOTE_USER through Flask AppBuiler)
- A simple semantic layer, allowing to control how data sources are displayed in the UI, by defining which fields should show up in which dropdown and which aggregation and function (metrics) are made available to the user
"Beautiful" is the top reason why over 65 developers like Grafana, while over 2 developers mention "Awesome interactive filtering" as the leading cause for choosing Superset.
Grafana and Superset are both open source tools. It seems that Grafana with 29.7K GitHub stars and 5.64K forks on GitHub has more adoption than Superset with 25.1K GitHub stars and 4.83K GitHub forks.
According to the StackShare community, Grafana has a broader approval, being mentioned in 579 company stacks & 325 developers stacks; compared to Superset, which is listed in 18 company stacks and 5 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Grafana?
What is Superset?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions