Graphene vs Graphite: What are the differences?
Developers describe Graphene as "GraphQL framework for Python". Graphene is a Python library for building GraphQL schemas/types fast and easily. On the other hand, Graphite is detailed as "A highly scalable real-time graphing system". Graphite does two things: 1) Store numeric time-series data and 2) Render graphs of this data on demand.
Graphene can be classified as a tool in the "Query Languages" category, while Graphite is grouped under "Monitoring Tools".
Some of the features offered by Graphene are:
- Easy to use: Graphene helps you use GraphQL in Python without effort.
- Relay: Graphene has builtin support for Relay
- Django: Automatic Django model mapping to Graphene Types. Check a fully working Django implementation
On the other hand, Graphite provides the following key features:
- carbon - a Twisted daemon that listens for time-series data
- whisper - a simple database library for storing time-series data (similar in design to RRD)
- graphite webapp - A Django webapp that renders graphs on-demand using Cairo
Graphene and Graphite are both open source tools. It seems that Graphene with 4.72K GitHub stars and 502 forks on GitHub has more adoption than Graphite with 4.59K GitHub stars and 1.2K GitHub forks.
Uber Technologies, Twitch, and hike are some of the popular companies that use Graphite, whereas Graphene is used by A Color Bright, Advance.Careers, and flatfox. Graphite has a broader approval, being mentioned in 97 company stacks & 21 developers stacks; compared to Graphene, which is listed in 11 company stacks and 5 developer stacks.
Looking for a tool which can be used for mainly dashboard purposes, but here are the main requirements:
- Must be able to get custom data from AS400,
- Able to display automation test results,
- System monitoring / Nginx API,
- Able to get data from 3rd parties DB.
Grafana is almost solving all the problems, except AS400 and no database to get automation test results.
You can look out for Prometheus Instrumentation (https://prometheus.io/docs/practices/instrumentation/) Client Library available in various languages https://prometheus.io/docs/instrumenting/clientlibs/ to create the custom metric you need for AS4000 and then Grafana can query the newly instrumented metric to show on the dashboard.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Graphene?
What is Graphite?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions