Graphite vs Thanos: What are the differences?
Graphite: A highly scalable real-time graphing system. Graphite does two things: 1) Store numeric time-series data and 2) Render graphs of this data on demand; Thanos: Highly available Prometheus setup with long term storage capabilities. Thanos is a set of components that can be composed into a highly available metric system with unlimited storage capacity. It can be added seamlessly on top of existing Prometheus deployments and leverages the Prometheus 2.0 storage format to cost-efficiently store historical metric data in any object storage while retaining fast query latencies. Additionally, it provides a global query view across all Prometheus installations and can merge data from Prometheus HA pairs on the fly.
Graphite and Thanos can be primarily classified as "Monitoring" tools.
Some of the features offered by Graphite are:
- carbon - a Twisted daemon that listens for time-series data
- whisper - a simple database library for storing time-series data (similar in design to RRD)
- graphite webapp - A Django webapp that renders graphs on-demand using Cairo
On the other hand, Thanos provides the following key features:
- Global querying view across all connected Prometheus servers
- Deduplication and merging of metrics collected from Prometheus HA pairs
- Seamless integration with existing Prometheus setups
Graphite and Thanos are both open source tools. It seems that Graphite with 4.59K GitHub stars and 1.2K forks on GitHub has more adoption than Thanos with 3.83K GitHub stars and 429 GitHub forks.
Looking for a tool which can be used for mainly dashboard purposes, but here are the main requirements:
- Must be able to get custom data from AS400,
- Able to display automation test results,
- System monitoring / Nginx API,
- Able to get data from 3rd parties DB.
Grafana is almost solving all the problems, except AS400 and no database to get automation test results.
You can look out for Prometheus Instrumentation (https://prometheus.io/docs/practices/instrumentation/) Client Library available in various languages https://prometheus.io/docs/instrumenting/clientlibs/ to create the custom metric you need for AS4000 and then Grafana can query the newly instrumented metric to show on the dashboard.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Graphite?
What is Thanos?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions