Hack vs Qore: What are the differences?
What is Hack? A programming language for HHVM that interoperates seamlessly with PHP. Hack provides instantaneous type checking via a local server that watches the filesystem. It typically runs in less than 200 milliseconds, making it easy to integrate into your development workflow without introducing a noticeable delay.
What is Qore? Embeddable Multithreaded Programming Language. It is an interpreted scripting language with multithreading and thread-safe programming, optional strong typing and exception handling, code embedding and sandboxing and automatic memory management and c++ style destructors.
Hack and Qore can be categorized as "Languages" tools.
Qore is an open source tool with 20 GitHub stars and 7 GitHub forks. Here's a link to Qore's open source repository on GitHub.
What is Hack?
What is Qore?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Why do developers choose Qore?
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Hack?
What are the cons of using Qore?
What companies use Qore?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Throughout 2016, Slack began migrating from PHP5 to Hack. They cite several well-known challenges inherent to PHP, including surprise type conversions, inconsistency around reference semantics, inconsistencies in the standard library, and the fact that “PHP tries very, very hard to keep the request running, even if it has done something deeply strange.”
To overcome these challenges while maintaining the unique values of PHP, Slack turned to Hack, a gradual typing system for PHP. Hack runs on the HipHop Virtual Machine, or HHVM, an open source just-in-time (JIT) environment for PHP.
Since the beginning, Cal Henderson has been the CTO of Slack. Earlier this year, he commented on a Quora question summarizing their current stack.Apps
- Desktop: And Electron to ship it as a desktop application.
- Android: a mix of Java and Kotlin.
- iOS: written in a mix of Objective C and Swift.
- The core application and the API written in PHP/Hack that runs on HHVM.
- The data is stored in MySQL using Vitess.
- Caching is done using Memcached and MCRouter.
- The search service takes help from SolrCloud, with various Java services.
- The messaging system uses WebSockets with many services in Java and Go.
- Load balancing is done using HAproxy with Consul for configuration.
- Most services talk to each other over gRPC,
- Some Thrift and JSON-over-HTTP
- Voice and video calling service was built in Elixir.
- Built using open source tools including Presto, Spark, Airflow, Hadoop and Kafka.