Amazon SimpleDB vs Google Cloud Datastore: What are the differences?
What is Amazon SimpleDB? Highly available and flexible non-relational data store. Developers simply store and query data items via web services requests and Amazon SimpleDB does the rest. Behind the scenes, Amazon SimpleDB creates and manages multiple geographically distributed replicas of your data automatically to enable high availability and data durability. Amazon SimpleDB provides a simple web services interface to create and store multiple data sets, query your data easily, and return the results. Your data is automatically indexed, making it easy to quickly find the information that you need. There is no need to pre-define a schema or change a schema if new data is added later. And scale-out is as simple as creating new domains, rather than building out new servers.
What is Google Cloud Datastore? A Fully Managed NoSQL Data Storage Service. Use a managed, NoSQL, schemaless database for storing non-relational data. Cloud Datastore automatically scales as you need it and supports transactions as well as robust, SQL-like queries.
Amazon SimpleDB and Google Cloud Datastore can be primarily classified as "NoSQL Database as a Service" tools.
Some of the features offered by Amazon SimpleDB are:
- Amazon SimpleDB automatically manages infrastructure provisioning, hardware and software maintenance, replication and indexing of data items, and performance tuning.
- Amazon SimpleDB automatically creates multiple geographically distributed copies of each data item you store.
- You can also choose between consistent or eventually consistent read requests, gaining the flexibility to match read performance (latency and throughput) and consistency requirements to the demands of your application, or even disparate parts within your application.
On the other hand, Google Cloud Datastore provides the following key features:
- Schemaless access, with SQL-like querying
- Managed database
- Autoscale with your users
What is Amazon SimpleDB?
What is Google Cloud Datastore?
Want advice about which of these to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Why do developers choose Amazon SimpleDB?
What are the cons of using Amazon SimpleDB?
What are the cons of using Google Cloud Datastore?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
What tools integrate with Amazon SimpleDB?
What tools integrate with Google Cloud Datastore?
When creating proofs of concept or small personal projects that are hosted primarily in GCP, with non-relational data models, this is the NoSQL managed database I usually pair them with.
This is our primary database, though most of our actual data is stored in static storage. This database houses the metadata necessary for indexing and finding static data.
worked with a client that used datastore as their backend database. helped plan out their schema and architecture. loved the speed and simplicity.