Amazon SNS vs Plivo: What are the differences?
Developers describe Amazon SNS as "Fully managed push messaging service". Amazon Simple Notification Service makes it simple and cost-effective to push to mobile devices such as iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle Fire, and internet connected smart devices, as well as pushing to other distributed services. Besides pushing cloud notifications directly to mobile devices, SNS can also deliver notifications by SMS text message or email, to Simple Queue Service (SQS) queues, or to any HTTP endpoint. On the other hand, Plivo is detailed as "API platform to build Voice & SMS Applications". Plivo provides basic building block APIs in the form of Plivo XML and HTTP API, to create telephony apps, so developers can completely do away with learning the nitty-gritty of the telephony plumbing.
Amazon SNS can be classified as a tool in the "Mobile Push Messaging" category, while Plivo is grouped under "Voice and SMS".
Some of the features offered by Amazon SNS are:
- In most cases, developers can get started with Amazon SNS by using just three APIs: CreateTopic, Subscribe, and Publish. Additional APIs are available, which provide more advanced functionality.
- With SNS you can publish a message once, and deliver it one or more times. So you can choose to direct unique messages to individual Apple, Google or Amazon devices, or broadcast deliveries to many mobile devices with a single publish request.
- SNS allows you to group multiple recipients using topics. A topic is an “access point” for allowing recipients to dynamically subscribe for identical copies of the same notification. One topic can support deliveries to multiple endpoint types -- for example, you can group together iOS, Android and SMS recipients. When you publish once to a topic, SNS delivers appropriately formatted copies of your message to each subscriber.
On the other hand, Plivo provides the following key features:
- Phone- Global
- Phone- Local and Tollfree Numbers
- Phone- Call routing, call forwarding, caller ID, call waiting, 3-way calling, redial, speed dial, mute, hold, etc
According to the StackShare community, Amazon SNS has a broader approval, being mentioned in 227 company stacks & 76 developers stacks; compared to Plivo, which is listed in 11 company stacks and 8 developer stacks.
What is Amazon SNS?
What is Plivo?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Amazon SNS?
What are the cons of using Plivo?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
Our primary transport mechanism for events. One SNS topic carries a specific event type and n-number of subscribers (usually a Lambda) may subscribe to that event.
Amazon SNS is used for push notification to push notifications of the occurrence of different events during operations of our computing resources on AWS cloud.
We use SNS for platform-agnostic mobile push message handling, essentially to avoid dealing with APNS ourselves.
I mainly use it for the infrastructure notifications and alarms of zerotoherojs.com ’s learning dashboards.
We use Plivo to support the text messaging function of our Helper web based application.