Apache Thrift vs gRPC: What are the differences?
Apache Thrift can be classified as a tool in the "Serialization Frameworks" category, while gRPC is grouped under "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)".
Apache Thrift and gRPC are both open source tools. gRPC with 22K GitHub stars and 5.12K forks on GitHub appears to be more popular than Apache Thrift with 6.48K GitHub stars and 2.97K GitHub forks.
Slack, 9GAG, and Policygenius are some of the popular companies that use gRPC, whereas Apache Thrift is used by Uber Technologies, Slack, and QuizUp. gRPC has a broader approval, being mentioned in 53 company stacks & 48 developers stacks; compared to Apache Thrift, which is listed in 11 company stacks and 8 developer stacks.
What is Apache Thrift?
What is gRPC?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Why do developers choose Apache Thrift?
What are the cons of using Apache Thrift?
What are the cons of using gRPC?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
Since the beginning, Cal Henderson has been the CTO of Slack. Earlier this year, he commented on a Quora question summarizing their current stack.Apps
- Desktop: And Electron to ship it as a desktop application.
- Android: a mix of Java and Kotlin.
- iOS: written in a mix of Objective C and Swift.
- The core application and the API written in PHP/Hack that runs on HHVM.
- The data is stored in MySQL using Vitess.
- Caching is done using Memcached and MCRouter.
- The search service takes help from SolrCloud, with various Java services.
- The messaging system uses WebSockets with many services in Java and Go.
- Load balancing is done using HAproxy with Consul for configuration.
- Most services talk to each other over gRPC,
- Some Thrift and JSON-over-HTTP
- Voice and video calling service was built in Elixir.
- Built using open source tools including Presto, Spark, Airflow, Hadoop and Kafka.