Apiary vs Slate: What are the differences?
Developers describe Apiary as "Integrated API documentation, prototyping and testing". It takes more than a simple HTML page to thrill your API users. The right tools take weeks of development. Weeks that apiary.io saves. On the other hand, Slate is detailed as "Beautiful static documentation for your API, inspired by Stripe's and Paypal's API docs". Slate helps you create beautiful API documentation. Think of it as an intelligent, responsive documentation template for your API.
Apiary and Slate can be primarily classified as "Documentation as a Service &" tools.
Some of the features offered by Apiary are:
- Documentation- Organized around resources, code samples with syntax highlight, easy to explore.
- Inspector- Users can make API calls through apiary.io, we show them how they differ from documentation.
- Community- Opensource your API documentation on GitHub. The right channel between developers on both side of the API.
On the other hand, Slate provides the following key features:
- Clean, intuitive design — with Slate, the description of your API is on the left side of your documentation, and all the code examples are on the right side. Inspired by Stripe's and Paypal's API docs. Slate is responsive, so it looks great on tablets, phones, and even print.
- Everything on a single page — gone are the days where your users had to search through a million pages to find what they wanted. Slate puts the entire documentation on a single page. We haven't sacrificed linkability, though. As you scroll, your browser's hash will update to the nearest header, so linking to a particular point in the documentation is still natural and easy.
- Slate is just Markdown — when you write docs with Slate, you're just writing Markdown, which makes it simple to edit and understand. Everything is written in Markdown — even the code samples are just Markdown code blocks!
"Easy to use" is the top reason why over 25 developers like Apiary, while over 3 developers mention "Easy setup" as the leading cause for choosing Slate.
Slate is an open source tool with 27.2K GitHub stars and 16.9K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Slate's open source repository on GitHub.
What is Apiary?
What is Slate?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Apiary?
What are the cons of using Slate?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
What tools integrate with Slate?
Two weeks ago we released the public API for Checkly. We already had an API that was serving our frontend Vue.js app. We decided to create an new set of API endpoints and not reuse the already existing one. The blog post linked below details what parts we needed to refactor, what parts we added and how we handled generating API documentation. More specifically, the post dives into:
- Refactoring the existing Hapi.js based API
- API key based authentication
- Refactoring models with Objection.js
- Validating plan limits
- Generating Swagger & Slate based documentation
Apiary é um excelente ferramente para documentação de sua API e guia para desenvolvimento do back-end. Utilizamos ele para garantir a informação correta a cada end-point.