AWS AppSync vs Firebase: What are the differences?
Developers describe AWS AppSync as "A managed GraphQL service with real-time data and offline programming". AWS AppSync automatically updates the data in web and mobile applications in real time, and updates data for offline users as soon as they reconnect. AppSync makes it easy to build collaborative mobile and web applications that deliver responsive, collaborative user experiences. On the other hand, Firebase is detailed as "The Realtime App Platform". Firebase is a cloud service designed to power real-time, collaborative applications. Simply add the Firebase library to your application to gain access to a shared data structure; any changes you make to that data are automatically synchronized with the Firebase cloud and with other clients within milliseconds.
AWS AppSync and Firebase are primarily classified as "GraphQL as a Service" and "Realtime Backend / API" tools respectively.
Some of the features offered by AWS AppSync are:
- Uses GraphQL
- Real-time data access and updates
- Offline data synchronization
On the other hand, Firebase provides the following key features:
- Add the Firebase library to your app and get access to a shared data structure. Any changes made to that data are automatically synchronized with the Firebase cloud and with other clients within milliseconds.
- Firebase apps can be written entirely with client-side code, update in real-time out-of-the-box, interoperate well with existing services, scale automatically, and provide strong data security.
- Data Accessibility- Data is stored as JSON in Firebase. Every piece of data has its own URL which can be used in Firebase's client libraries and as a REST endpoint. These URLs can also be entered into a browser to view the data and watch it update in real-time.
"Offline" is the top reason why over 2 developers like AWS AppSync, while over 318 developers mention "Realtime backend made easy" as the leading cause for choosing Firebase.
Instacart, 9GAG, and Twitch are some of the popular companies that use Firebase, whereas AWS AppSync is used by Livement, HyperTrack, and Quriobot. Firebase has a broader approval, being mentioned in 859 company stacks & 997 developers stacks; compared to AWS AppSync, which is listed in 12 company stacks and 12 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is AWS AppSync?
What is Firebase?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions