Bootstrap vs Xamarin: What are the differences?
What is Bootstrap? Simple and flexible HTML, CSS, and JS for popular UI components and interactions. Bootstrap is the most popular HTML, CSS, and JS framework for developing responsive, mobile first projects on the web.
What is Xamarin? Create iOS, Android and Mac apps in C#. Xamarin’s Mono-based products enable .NET developers to use their existing code, libraries and tools (including Visual Studio*), as well as skills in .NET and the C# programming language, to create mobile applications for the industry’s most widely-used mobile devices, including Android-based smartphones and tablets, iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
Bootstrap can be classified as a tool in the "Front-End Frameworks" category, while Xamarin is grouped under "Cross-Platform Mobile Development".
Some of the features offered by Bootstrap are:
- Preprocessors: Bootstrap ships with vanilla CSS, but its source code utilizes the two most popular CSS preprocessors, Less and Sass. Quickly get started with precompiled CSS or build on the source.
- One framework, every device: Bootstrap easily and efficiently scales your websites and applications with a single code base, from phones to tablets to desktops with CSS media queries.
- Full of features: With Bootstrap, you get extensive and beautiful documentation for common HTML elements, dozens of custom HTML and CSS components, and awesome jQuery plugins.
On the other hand, Xamarin provides the following key features:
- Cross-platform development- Thinking about supporting iOS, Android, Mac and Windows? Xamarin allows you to write it all in C#.
- Reuse existing code- Use your favorite .NET libraries in Xamarin apps. Easily use third-party native libraries and frameworks.
- Discover as you type- Explore APIs as you type with code autocompletion.
"Responsiveness", "UI components" and "Consistent" are the key factors why developers consider Bootstrap; whereas "Power of c# on mobile devices", "Native apps with native ui controls" and "Native performance" are the primary reasons why Xamarin is favored.
Bootstrap is an open source tool with 134K GitHub stars and 66K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Bootstrap's open source repository on GitHub.
According to the StackShare community, Bootstrap has a broader approval, being mentioned in 7046 company stacks & 1115 developers stacks; compared to Xamarin, which is listed in 75 company stacks and 66 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Bootstrap?
What is Xamarin?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions