Confidant vs Vault: What are the differences?
What is Confidant? An open-source secret management service from Lyft. Confidant is a open source secret management service that provides user-friendly storage and access to secrets in a secure way, from the developers at Lyft.
What is Vault? Secure, store, and tightly control access to tokens, passwords, certificates, API keys, and other secrets in modern computing. Vault is a tool for securely accessing secrets. A secret is anything that you want to tightly control access to, such as API keys, passwords, certificates, and more. Vault provides a unified interface to any secret, while providing tight access control and recording a detailed audit log.
Confidant and Vault can be categorized as "Secrets Management" tools.
Some of the features offered by Confidant are:
- KMS Authentication
- At-rest encryption of versioned secrets
- A user-friendly web interface for managing secrets
On the other hand, Vault provides the following key features:
- Secure Secret Storage: Arbitrary key/value secrets can be stored in Vault. Vault encrypts these secrets prior to writing them to persistent storage, so gaining access to the raw storage isn't enough to access your secrets. Vault can write to disk, Consul, and more.
- Dynamic Secrets: Vault can generate secrets on-demand for some systems, such as AWS or SQL databases. For example, when an application needs to access an S3 bucket, it asks Vault for credentials, and Vault will generate an AWS keypair with valid permissions on demand. After creating these dynamic secrets, Vault will also automatically revoke them after the lease is up.
- Data Encryption: Vault can encrypt and decrypt data without storing it. This allows security teams to define encryption parameters and developers to store encrypted data in a location such as SQL without having to design their own encryption methods.
Vault is an open source tool with 12.8K GitHub stars and 1.93K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Vault's open source repository on GitHub.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Confidant?
What is Vault?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
What tools integrate with Confidant?
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions