containerd vs KubeAdvisor: What are the differences?
Developers describe containerd as "An industry-standard container runtime with an emphasis on simplicity,robustness and portability". An industry-standard container runtime with an emphasis on simplicity, robustness, and portability. On the other hand, KubeAdvisor is detailed as "It helps DevOps adopt best practices for Kubernetes". It helps teams adopt best practices to accelerate the adoption of Kubernetes, and optimize their existing stack, with machine learning. It scans K8s to make infrastructure and cloud-native applications reliable, resilient, and observable.
containerd and KubeAdvisor belong to "Container Tools" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by containerd are:
- OCI Image Spec support
- OCI Runtime Spec support (aka runC)
- Image push and pull support
On the other hand, KubeAdvisor provides the following key features:
- Performance by continuously watching throttled containers/apps and recommending improvements
- Utilization by comparing used resources with the available capacity to reallocate them based on variable workloads
- Cost Optimization by suggesting changes at the VM level to save money in case of cloud infrastructure or identify the best configurations if you are running Kubernetes on-prem