Foundation vs Gumby: What are the differences?
What is Foundation? The most advanced responsive front-end framework in the world. Foundation is the most advanced responsive front-end framework in the world. You can quickly prototype and build sites or apps that work on any kind of device with Foundation, which includes layout constructs (like a fully responsive grid), elements and best practices.
What is Gumby? A Flexible, Responsive CSS Framework - Powered by Sass. Create rapid and logical page layout and app prototypes with a flexible and responsive grid system and UI kit.
Foundation and Gumby can be primarily classified as "Front-End Frameworks" tools.
Some of the features offered by Foundation are:
- Semantic: Everything is semantic. You can have the cleanest markup without sacrificing the utility and speed of Foundation.
- Mobile First: You can build for small devices first. Then, as devices get larger and larger, layer in more complexity for a complete responsive design.
- Customizable: You can customize your build to include or remove certain elements, as well as define the size of columns, colors, font size and more.
On the other hand, Gumby provides the following key features:
- Syntactically Awesome - Gumby 2 is built with the power of Sass. Sass is a powerful CSS preprocessor which allows us to develop Gumby itself with much more speed — and gives you new tools to quickly customize and build on top of the Gumby Framework.
- Brilliantly Flexible - Gumby 2 is an amazing responsive CSS Framework. Websites built today must be mobile friendly in order to survive. Why have two different sites for mobile and desktop when you can have your main site be one size fits all? Gumby Framework is also incredibly customizable
- it’s as easy as download, tweak, deploy!
Foundation and Gumby are both open source tools. Foundation with 28.2K GitHub stars and 5.77K forks on GitHub appears to be more popular than Gumby with 2.95K GitHub stars and 479 GitHub forks.
What is Foundation?
What is Gumby?
Want advice about which of these to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Gumby?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
What tools integrate with Gumby?
I use it for a lot of professional work where I might need more than just a responsive grid. Has a great set of mixins and components and also some nice JS-modules. I love that its so style-agnostic. Really easy to add custom styling.
Foundation has been my choice for years over Bootstrap and other similar CSS frameworks due to the naming conventions, well-designed built-in components, and it plays well with React when I'm not using ElementalUI instead.