Hexo vs Octopress: What are the differences?
Hexo: A fast, simple & powerful blog framework, powered by Node.js. Hexo is a fast, simple and powerful blog framework. It parses your posts with Markdown or other render engine and generates static files with the beautiful theme. All of these just take seconds; Octopress: A static blogging framework for hackers, based on Jekyll. Octopress is an obsessively designed framework for Jekyll blogging. It’s easy to configure and easy to deploy.
Hexo and Octopress can be primarily classified as "Static Site Generators" tools.
Some of the features offered by Hexo are:
- Blazing Fast - Node.js brings you incredible generating speed. Hundreds of files take only seconds to build.
- Markdown Support - All features of GitHub Flavored Markdown are supported. You can even use most Octopress plugins in Hexo.
- One-Command Deployment - You only need one command to deploy your site to GitHub Pages, Heroku or other sites.
On the other hand, Octopress provides the following key features:
- Octopress sports a clean responsive theme written in semantic HTML5, focused on readability and friendliness toward mobile devices.
- Code blogging is easy and beautiful. Embed code (with Solarized styling) in your posts from gists, jsFiddle or from your filesystem.
- Third party integration is simple with built-in support for Pinboard, Delicious, GitHub Repositories, Disqus Comments and Google Analytics.
Hexo and Octopress are both open source tools. It seems that Hexo with 27.1K GitHub stars and 3.6K forks on GitHub has more adoption than Octopress with 9.51K GitHub stars and 2.86K GitHub forks.
What is Hexo?
What is Octopress?
Want advice about which of these to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Why do developers choose Octopress?
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Hexo?
What are the cons of using Octopress?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
Content for blog posts and pages is written in markdown format, using Emacs. Hexo generates the site using my own customised theme. The site is then deployed to Github pages
To build my site blog. I also created a tag plugin for Hexo that enables you to embed Deezer objects in your page.