Apache Maven vs Puppet Labs: What are the differences?
What is Apache Maven? Apache build manager for Java projects. Maven allows a project to build using its project object model (POM) and a set of plugins that are shared by all projects using Maven, providing a uniform build system. Once you familiarize yourself with how one Maven project builds you automatically know how all Maven projects build saving you immense amounts of time when trying to navigate many projects.
What is Puppet Labs? Server automation framework and application. Puppet is an automated administrative engine for your Linux, Unix, and Windows systems and performs administrative tasks (such as adding users, installing packages, and updating server configurations) based on a centralized specification.
Apache Maven and Puppet Labs are primarily classified as "Java Build" and "Server Configuration and Automation" tools respectively.
Some of the features offered by Apache Maven are:
- Simple project setup that follows best practices - get a new project or module started in seconds
- Consistent usage across all projects means no ramp up time for new developers coming onto a project
- Superior dependency management including automatic updating, dependency closures (also known as transitive dependencies)
On the other hand, Puppet Labs provides the following key features:
- Insight- Puppet Enterprise's event inspector gives immediate and actionable insight into your environment, showing you what changed, where and how by classes, nodes and resources.
- Discovery- Puppet Enterprise delivers a dynamic and fully-pluggable discovery service that allows you to take advantage of any data source or real-time query results to quickly locate, identify and group cloud nodes.
- Provisioning- Automatically provision and configure bare metal, virtual, and private or public cloud capacity, all from a single pane. Save time getting your cloud projects off the ground by reusing the same configuration modules you set up for your physical deployments.
"Dependency management" is the primary reason why developers consider Apache Maven over the competitors, whereas "Devops" was stated as the key factor in picking Puppet Labs.
Apache Maven and Puppet Labs are both open source tools. It seems that Puppet Labs with 5.37K GitHub stars and 2.1K forks on GitHub has more adoption than Apache Maven with 1.74K GitHub stars and 1.28K GitHub forks.
According to the StackShare community, Apache Maven has a broader approval, being mentioned in 305 company stacks & 142 developers stacks; compared to Puppet Labs, which is listed in 180 company stacks and 49 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Apache Maven?
What is Puppet Labs?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions