What is Chef?
Who uses Chef?
Here are some stack decisions, common use cases and reviews by companies and developers who chose Chef in their tech stack.
Our custom recipes makes it simple for developers bootstrap process (using vagrant) and that same recipe is also the one that is used to prep instances Chef
We use Chef to streamline the task of configuration and managing the servers we host our tools on.
- Access to 800+ Reusable Cookbooks
- Integration with Leading Cloud Providers
- Enterprise Platform Support including Windows and Solaris
- Create, Bootstrap and Manage OpenStack Clouds
- Easy Installation with 'one-click' Omnibus Installer
- Automatic System Discovery with Ohai
- Text-Based Search Capabilities
- Multiple Environment Support
- "Knife" Command Line Interface
- "Dry Run" Mode for Testing Potential Changes
- Manage 10,000+ Nodes on a Single Chef Server
- Available as a Hosted Service
- Centralized Activity and Resource Reporting
- "Push" Command and Control Client Runs
- Role-Based Access Control [RBAC]
- High Availability Installation Support and Verification
- Centralized Authentication Using LDAP or Active Directory