What is Puppet Labs?
Who uses Puppet Labs?
Puppet Labs Integrations
Why developers like Puppet Labs?
Here are some stack decisions, common use cases and reviews by companies and developers who chose Puppet Labs in their tech stack.
Since #ATComputing is a vendor independent Linux and open source specialist, we do not have a favorite Linux distribution. We mainly use Ubuntu , Centos Debian , Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Fedora during our daily work. These are also the distributions we see most often used in our customers environments.
For our #ci/cd training, we use an open source pipeline that is build around Visual Studio Code , Jenkins , VirtualBox , GitHub , Docker Kubernetes and Google Compute Engine.
For #ServerConfigurationAndAutomation, we have embraced and contributed to Ansible mainly because it is not only flexible and powerful, but also straightforward and easier to learn than some other (open source) solutions. On the other hand: we are not affraid of Puppet Labs and Chef either.
Currently, our most popular #programming #Language course is Python . The reason Python is so popular has to do with it's versatility, but also with its low complexity. This helps sysadmins to write scripts or simple programs to make their job less repetitive and automating things more fun. Python is also widely used to communicate with (REST) API's and for data analysis.
Why we piggybacked on the open source Mattermost for Uber's chat needs, which we open sourced as uChat ( GitHub : https://github.com/uber-uchat/ -- contributing some of our changes back to Mattermost as well in the process.)
With operations in over 620 cities, it was paramount for us to identify a chat solution that would enable Uber employees to reliably communicate on desktop and mobile regardless of where they were in the world. To accomplish this, we established a few core requirements. To start, we needed something that could scale to support our growing employee population and, as a byproduct, control costs. We also needed a platform that could easily integrate with a variety of internal engineering, business, and operational tools.
While we evaluated Internet Relay Chat (IRC) and many other popular chat clients, it became clear that there was no turnkey third-party solution able to meet Uber’s core requirements.
So after testing multiple off-the-shelf alternatives, we built uChat, our custom in-house messaging platform, by leveraging open source platform Mattermost and Puppet Labs , the Uber standard for deployment configuration management. In this article, we discuss how in just three months our team transitioned the company to a new solution capable of reliably delivering over one million messages per day to tens of thousands of users, all in one unified chat environment:
I'm using puppet to configure my servers. This makes it really simple to ensure that I have the same environment. There is a bit of a learning curve, but the repeatability definitely makes it worth the effort. I found puppet to be a little easier to pick up relative to chef, but I've used both. They're both great solutions.
I really like that there are a lot of modules available on the puppet forge that are being actively maintained. Puppet Labs
Configures or servers and allows us to be region independent we have 5 regions across the globe. Puppet Labs
Puppet Labs's features
- Insight- Puppet Enterprise's event inspector gives immediate and actionable insight into your environment, showing you what changed, where and how by classes, nodes and resources.
- Discovery- Puppet Enterprise delivers a dynamic and fully-pluggable discovery service that allows you to take advantage of any data source or real-time query results to quickly locate, identify and group cloud nodes.
- Provisioning- Automatically provision and configure bare metal, virtual, and private or public cloud capacity, all from a single pane. Save time getting your cloud projects off the ground by reusing the same configuration modules you set up for your physical deployments.
- Configuration Management- Puppet Enterprise's declarative, model-based approach automates repetitive tasks and eliminates configuration drift. You define the desired state of your infrastructure, and Puppet Enterprise enforces this state, freeing you to work on tougher projects.
- Orchestration- Quickly deploy critical updates, like security patches, across hundreds of servers in seconds, or proactively initiate Puppet runs to update configurations and report changes. Puppet Enterprise allows you to orchestrate controlled, multi-step operations to targeted collections of nodes, giving you complete control over infrastructure changes.
- Reporting- Get visibility into your infrastructure, browse resources, and view reports that help you manage your configuration. Puppet Enterprise provides node hardware and software inventory, Puppet run change reports, and node configuration graphs via the product's console or 3rd party APIs.