PubNub vs Pushpin: What are the differences?
PubNub: Build real-time apps quickly and scale them globally. PubNub makes it easy for you to add real-time capabilities to your apps, without worrying about the infrastructure. Build apps that allow your users to engage in real-time across mobile, browser, desktop and server; Pushpin: Reverse proxy for realtime web services. Pushpin is a reverse proxy server that makes it easy to build realtime web services. The project is unique among realtime push solutions in that it is designed to address the needs of API creators.
PubNub and Pushpin can be categorized as "Realtime Backend / API" tools.
Some of the features offered by PubNub are:
- Data Push - Establish and maintain persistent socket connections to any device (mobile, browser, desktop and server) and push data to global audiences in less than ¼ of a second
- Presence - Automatically detect when users enter or leave your app and whether machines are online
On the other hand, Pushpin provides the following key features:
- Supports HTTP streaming, HTTP long-polling, and WebSockets.
- Clients communicate using your API contract. Pushpin is a server-side implementation detail.
- Since Pushpin is a proxy server, the backend can be written in any language.
Pushpin is an open source tool with 2.53K GitHub stars and 96 GitHub forks. Here's a link to Pushpin's open source repository on GitHub.
What is PubNub?
What is Pushpin?
Want advice about which of these to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using PubNub?
What are the cons of using Pushpin?
What companies use Pushpin?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
What tools integrate with Pushpin?
PubNub is my goto solution for when I want to use sockets at scale. They have redundant data centers in 14 regions with 99.999% SLA allowing me to build realtime apps for any platform. Also Stephen (PubNub CTO) is Awesome!
Using websockets is something, scaling a message pipeline to thousands of concurrent connections is something else.
I trust PubNub with what it does best, and use it as zerotoherojs.com ’s messaging pipeline.
With PubNub, I have one less problem to think about.