What is Wagtail?
Wagtail is a Django content management system built originally for the Royal College of Art and focused on flexibility and user experience.
Wagtail is a tool in the Self-Hosted Blogging / CMS category of a tech stack.
Wagtail is an open source tool with 8.9K GitHub stars and 1.9K GitHub forks. Here’s a link to Wagtail's open source repository on GitHub
Who uses Wagtail?
14 companies reportedly use Wagtail in their tech stacks, including Django, NHS Digital (NHS.UK) - Testing, and Thermondo.
76 developers on StackShare have stated that they use Wagtail.
- A fast, attractive editor interface
- Complete control over design with standard Django templates
- Configure content types through standard Django models
- Tightly integrated search (with an Elasticsearch backend for production)
- Strong document and image management
- Wide support for embedded content
- Simple, configurable permissions
- Support for tree-based content organisation
- Optional preview->submit->approve workflow
- Fast out of the box. Varnish-friendly if you need it
- A simple form builder
- Optional static site generation
- Excellent test coverage
Wagtail Alternatives & Comparisons
What are some alternatives to Wagtail?
See all alternatives
The core software is built by hundreds of community volunteers, and when you’re ready for more there are thousands of plugins and themes available to transform your site into almost anything you can imagine. Over 60 million people have chosen WordPress to power the place on the web they call “home” — we’d love you to join the family.
It is user friendly and has a very intuitive drag and drop interface. It's built around the needs of multi-lingual publishing by default. Its lightweight core makes it easy to integrate with other software and put to use immediately, while its ease of use makes it the go-to choice for content managers, content editors and website admins.
Drupal is an open source content management platform powering millions of websites and applications. It’s built, used, and supported by an active and diverse community of people around the world.
Django is a high-level Python Web framework that encourages rapid development and clean, pragmatic design.
It is an open source Node.js Headless CMS to easily build customisable APIs. It lets you manage your content and distribute it anywhere. It allows you to securely and privately serve your database of choice from your hosting and server of choice.