Drupal vs Wagtail: What are the differences?
What is Drupal? Free, Open, Modular CMS written in PHP. Drupal is an open source content management platform powering millions of websites and applications. It’s built, used, and supported by an active and diverse community of people around the world.
What is Wagtail? A Django content management system focused on flexibility and user experience. Wagtail is a Django content management system built originally for the Royal College of Art and focused on flexibility and user experience.
Drupal and Wagtail belong to "Self-Hosted Blogging / CMS" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Drupal are:
- Categorize with taxonomy, automatically create friendly path urls, create custom lists, associate content with other content on your site, and create smart defaults for content creators
- Manage content with an easy-to-use web interface. Drupal's flexibility handles countless content types including video, text, blog, podcasts, and polls with robust user management, menu handling, real-time statistics and optional revision control.
- Users can be assigned one or more roles, and each role can be set up with fine-grained permissions allowing users view and create only what the administrator permits.
On the other hand, Wagtail provides the following key features:
- A fast, attractive editor interface
- Complete control over design with standard Django templates
- Configure content types through standard Django models
"Stable, highly functional cms" is the top reason why over 63 developers like Drupal, while over 13 developers mention "Highly customizable" as the leading cause for choosing Wagtail.
Wagtail is an open source tool with 7.37K GitHub stars and 1.61K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Wagtail's open source repository on GitHub.
MIT, Tesla Motors, and Mint are some of the popular companies that use Drupal, whereas Wagtail is used by Thermondo, Hactar, and sinnwerkstatt Medienagentur. Drupal has a broader approval, being mentioned in 684 company stacks & 158 developers stacks; compared to Wagtail, which is listed in 8 company stacks and 5 developer stacks.
What is Drupal?
What is Wagtail?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Drupal?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
What tools integrate with Wagtail?
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
I am not a developer, however Drupal provided me with almost all the modules that i needed to create complex, responsive and fast websites with front-end and proper admin interfaces.
Most critical part of Drupal is the compression, caching and other performance details in the core, this makes site perform faster just while we get started.
really good product
As the app's CMS and CRM.
It is being used in a headless state and is completely decoupled from the frontend; only serving it's content to the AngularJS framework via a RESTful API.
Built a number of sites and web apps. Rapid development make for happy customers. Crazy development workflows make developers unhappy.
We are specialized in designing, building and running Drupal based web solutions