What is Babel?
Babel will turn your ES6+ code into ES5 friendly code, so you can start using it right now without waiting for browser support.
Babel is an open source tool with 42.1K GitHub stars and 5.6K GitHub forks. Here’s a link to Babel's open source repository on GitHub
Who uses Babel?
1968 companies reportedly use Babel in their tech stacks, including Instagram, Robinhood, and Discord.
12052 developers on StackShare have stated that they use Babel.
gulp, Grunt, RequireJS, Gatsby, and Browserify are some of the popular tools that integrate with Babel. Here's a list of all 12 tools that integrate with Babel.
Pros of Babel
Integration with lots of tools
Very active on github
Decisions about Babel
Here are some stack decisions, common use cases and reviews by companies and developers who chose Babel in their tech stack.
Our whole Vue.js frontend stack (incl. SSR) consists of the following tools:
- Vue Styleguidist as our style guide and pool of developed Vue.js components
- Vuetify as Material Component Framework (for fast app development)
- TypeScript as programming language
- Apollo / GraphQL (incl. GraphiQL) for data access layer (https://apollo.vuejs.org/)
- ESLint, TSLint and Prettier for coding style and code analyzes
- Jest as testing framework
- Google Fonts and Font Awesome for typography and icon toolkit
- NativeScript-Vue for mobile development
The main reason we have chosen Vue.js over React and AngularJS is related to the following artifacts:
- Empowered HTML. Vue.js has many similar approaches with Angular. This helps to optimize HTML blocks handling with the use of different components.
- Detailed documentation. Vue.js has very good documentation which can fasten learning curve for developers.
- Adaptability. It provides a rapid switching period from other frameworks. It has similarities with Angular and React in terms of design and architecture.
- Awesome integration. Vue.js can be used for both building single-page applications and more difficult web interfaces of apps. Smaller interactive parts can be easily integrated into the existing infrastructure with no negative effect on the entire system.
- Large scaling. Vue.js can help to develop pretty large reusable templates.
- Tiny size. Vue.js weights around 20KB keeping its speed and flexibility. It allows reaching much better performance in comparison to other frameworks.
Jun 19 2018 at 3:02AM
Nov 8 2017 at 5:09PM
Feb 4 2016 at 6:44PM
Jobs that mention Babel as a desired skillset
See all jobs
, United States
- Array comprehensions
- Arrow functions
- Async functions
- Async generator functions
- Class properties
- Computed property names
- Default parameters
- Exponentiation operator
- Generator comprehensions
- Let scoping
- Module export extensions
- Object rest/spread
- Property method assignment
- Property name shorthand
- Rest parameters
- Tail call optimisation
- Template literals
- Type annotations
- Unicode regex
Babel Alternatives & Comparisons
What are some alternatives to Babel?
See all alternatives