What is Cloud9 IDE?
Who uses Cloud9 IDE?
Cloud9 IDE Integrations
Why developers like Cloud9 IDE?
Here are some stack decisions, common use cases and reviews by companies and developers who chose Cloud9 IDE in their tech stack.
- I use a Cloud9 micro plan and connect SSH workspaces to Google Compute Engine instances.
- For me, Cloud 9 has good documentation, and it's relatively quick to install on my Debian instances using the Cloud 9 install script.
- I prefer a cloud-based IDE since I don't want to spend resources on my local or remote machines running or maintaining an IDE.
- As of Dec 2015, Cloud9 doesn't support debugging in Python. However, this hasn't been a problem for me since I use
pdbfor debugging and
pytestfor testing. I use the IDE mostly for code navigation, autocomplete, and managing packages with many files.
- Related blog post with example usage: Running an IPython Notebook on Google Compute Engine from Chrome Cloud9 IDE
I use Cloud9 as my preferred Rails development environment. It saves me a lot time and trouble compared to developing locally (I run Windows). Cloud9 IDE
Quick testing of frameworks without having to install on my own PC.
Very useful when you cannot use your own computer. Cloud9 IDE
Cloud9 IDE's Features
- Real-time collaboration and chat
- Connect via SSH and FTP
- Code Completion (suggestions)
- Highlighting and syntax hints
- Goto File- fast file access
- Adaptive Themes- chnage themes and skin
- Code Folding- folding arrows allow you to collapse code
- Multiple cursors- add a cursor to the rows above and below the current line
- Focus- Every part of the Cloud9 UI can be collapsed or hidden entirely, so you get the maximum space to focus on your code. And for the truly exceptional among us, there’s zen mode, where the editor floats above the IDE to fill 100% of the browser.
- Drag & Drop- The project tree scrolls, highlights and expands folders automatically for the most natural drag n drop experience.
- Command-Line- command-line is your shortcut to a ton of useful features, like "mkdir", "npm", "git" and "zen"
- Git and Mercurial support
- Seamless Node.js Integration