The continuous integration process for our Rails backend app starts by opening a GitHub pull request. This triggers a CircleCI build and some Code Climate checks.
The CircleCI build is a workflow that runs the following jobs:
- check for security vulnerabilities with Brakeman
- check code quality with RuboCop
- run RSpec tests in parallel with the knapsack gem, and output test coverage reports with the simplecov gem
- upload test coverage to Code Climate
Code Climate checks the following:
- code quality metrics like code complexity
- test coverage minimum thresholds
The CircleCI jobs and Code Climate checks above have corresponding GitHub status checks.
Once all the mandatory GitHub checks pass and the code+functionality have been reviewed, developers can merge their pull request into our Git
master branch. Code is then ready to deploy!