Amazon Redshift vs Cloudera Enterprise: What are the differences?
What is Amazon Redshift? Fast, fully managed, petabyte-scale data warehouse service. Redshift makes it simple and cost-effective to efficiently analyze all your data using your existing business intelligence tools. It is optimized for datasets ranging from a few hundred gigabytes to a petabyte or more and costs less than $1,000 per terabyte per year, a tenth the cost of most traditional data warehousing solutions.
What is Cloudera Enterprise? Enterprise Platform for Big Data. Cloudera Enterprise includes CDH, the world’s most popular open source Hadoop-based platform, as well as advanced system management and data management tools plus dedicated support and community advocacy from our world-class team of Hadoop developers and experts.
Amazon Redshift and Cloudera Enterprise can be primarily classified as "Big Data as a Service" tools.
Some of the features offered by Amazon Redshift are:
- Optimized for Data Warehousing- It uses columnar storage, data compression, and zone maps to reduce the amount of IO needed to perform queries. Redshift has a massively parallel processing (MPP) architecture, parallelizing and distributing SQL operations to take advantage of all available resources.
- Scalable- With a few clicks of the AWS Management Console or a simple API call, you can easily scale the number of nodes in your data warehouse up or down as your performance or capacity needs change.
- No Up-Front Costs- You pay only for the resources you provision. You can choose On-Demand pricing with no up-front costs or long-term commitments, or obtain significantly discounted rates with Reserved Instance pricing.
On the other hand, Cloudera Enterprise provides the following key features:
- Unified – one integrated system, bringing diverse users and application workloads to one pool of data on common infrastructure
- no data movement required
- Secure – perimeter security, authentication, granular authorization, and data protection
Lyft, PedidosYa, and Zapier are some of the popular companies that use Amazon Redshift, whereas Cloudera Enterprise is used by Hammer Lab, JPush, and Jobrapido. Amazon Redshift has a broader approval, being mentioned in 267 company stacks & 63 developers stacks; compared to Cloudera Enterprise, which is listed in 4 company stacks and 7 developer stacks.
What is Amazon Redshift?
What is Cloudera Enterprise?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Why do developers choose Cloudera Enterprise?
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Amazon Redshift?
What are the cons of using Cloudera Enterprise?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
Looker , Stitch , Amazon Redshift , dbt
We recently moved our Data Analytics and Business Intelligence tooling to Looker . It's already helping us create a solid process for reusable SQL-based data modeling, with consistent definitions across the entire organizations. Looker allows us to collaboratively build these version-controlled models and push the limits of what we've traditionally been able to accomplish with analytics with a lean team.
For Data Engineering, we're in the process of moving from maintaining our own ETL pipelines on AWS to a managed ELT system on Stitch. We're also evaluating the command line tool, dbt to manage data transformations. Our hope is that Stitch + dbt will streamline the ELT bit, allowing us to focus our energies on analyzing data, rather than managing it.
Aggressive archiving of historical data to keep the production database as small as possible. Using our in-house soon-to-be-open-sourced ETL library, SharpShifter.