AWS Elastic Beanstalk vs dotCloud: What are the differences?
What is AWS Elastic Beanstalk? Quickly deploy and manage applications in the AWS cloud. Once you upload your application, Elastic Beanstalk automatically handles the deployment details of capacity provisioning, load balancing, auto-scaling, and application health monitoring.
What is dotCloud? Deploy, manage and scale any web app. Build your ideal application stack by combining powerful cloud services. Experiment for free, then go live and only pay for what you need. dotCloud enables developers and IT organizations to deploy, manage and scale their applications with unprecedented ease and flexibility by assembling and customizing powerful pre-configured stacks and services.
AWS Elastic Beanstalk and dotCloud can be categorized as "Platform as a Service" tools.
Some of the features offered by AWS Elastic Beanstalk are:
- Elastic Beanstalk is built using familiar software stacks such as the Apache HTTP Server for Node.js, PHP and Python, Passenger for Ruby, IIS 7.5 for .NET, and Apache Tomcat for Java
- There is no additional charge for Elastic Beanstalk - you pay only for the AWS resources needed to store and run your applications.
- Easy to begin – Elastic Beanstalk is a quick and simple way to deploy your application to AWS. You simply use the AWS Management Console, Git deployment, or an integrated development environment (IDE) such as Eclipse or Visual Studio to upload your application
On the other hand, dotCloud provides the following key features:
- Develop faster- Don’t waste time with servers. Just select the services you need, combine them in a stack, and get back to writing code. It’s like playing lego!
- Don't worry about ops- We keep your app running 24/7 with built-in load-balancing, monitoring and failover. Scale in seconds to handle surges in traffic - and only pay for what you need.
- Not just for throw-away apps- Create maintainable, future-proof applications with a service-oriented architecture. Build custom services and network topologies. Need custom support, pricing or SLAs? We do that too.
What is AWS Elastic Beanstalk?
What is dotCloud?
Want advice about which of these to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Why do developers choose dotCloud?
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using dotCloud?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
Elastic Beanstalk gives us a managed platform for our front end servers to make sure that traffic is never overloading our servers and that deployments are always successful.
Elastic Beanstalk manages our environments. We rely on it to manage rolling out new versions of services.
Easy to get started. Essentially a package of several AWS products integrated for you.
For convenience I use Elastic Beanstalk to host all my sites.