AWS OpsWorks vs VisualOps: What are the differences?
Developers describe AWS OpsWorks as "Model and manage your entire application from load balancers to databases using Chef". Start from templates for common technologies like Ruby, Node.JS, PHP, and Java, or build your own using Chef recipes to install software packages and perform any task that you can script. AWS OpsWorks can scale your application using automatic load-based or time-based scaling and maintain the health of your application by detecting failed instances and replacing them. You have full control of deployments and automation of each component . On the other hand, VisualOps is detailed as "Visual DevOps Automation for Amazon Web Services". VisualOps has a WYSIWYG editor to design, configure and provision your AWS cloud applications. Once the applications are deployed, VisualOps continuously monitors and manages the apps to ensure they always run in the defined states.
AWS OpsWorks and VisualOps belong to "Server Configuration and Automation" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by AWS OpsWorks are:
- AWS OpsWorks lets you model the different components of your application as layers in a stack, and maps your logical architecture to a physical architecture. You can see all resources associated with your application, and their status, in one place.
- AWS OpsWorks provides an event-driven configuration system with rich deployment tools that allow you to efficiently manage your applications over their lifetime, including support for customizable deployments, rollback, partial deployments, patch management, automatic instance scaling, and auto healing.
- AWS OpsWorks lets you define template configurations for your entire environment in a format that you can maintain and version just like your application source code.
On the other hand, VisualOps provides the following key features:
- drag-n-drop components to build your AWS infrastructure
- clicks instances to setup the software configuration (package, file, code, etc.)
- single click to deploy, within minutes the app is ready to use!