Cacti vs Graphite: What are the differences?
Developers describe Cacti as "Cacti stores all of the necessary information to create graphs and populate them with data in a MySQL database". Cacti is a complete network graphing solution designed to harness the power of RRDTool's data storage and graphing functionality. Cacti provides a fast poller, advanced graph templating, multiple data acquisition methods, and user management features out of the box. On the other hand, Graphite is detailed as "A highly scalable real-time graphing system". Graphite does two things: 1) Store numeric time-series data and 2) Render graphs of this data on demand.
Cacti and Graphite belong to "Monitoring Tools" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Cacti are:
- Unlimited number of graph items can be defined for each graph optionally utilizing CDEFs or data sources from within cacti.
- Automatic grouping of GPRINT graph items to AREA, STACK, and LINE[1-3] to allow for quick re-sequencing of graph items.
- Auto-Padding support to make sure graph legend text lines up.
On the other hand, Graphite provides the following key features:
- carbon - a Twisted daemon that listens for time-series data
- whisper - a simple database library for storing time-series data (similar in design to RRD)
- graphite webapp - A Django webapp that renders graphs on-demand using Cairo
"Free" is the top reason why over 2 developers like Cacti, while over 14 developers mention "Render any graph" as the leading cause for choosing Graphite.
Graphite is an open source tool with 4.59K GitHub stars and 1.2K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Graphite's open source repository on GitHub.
According to the StackShare community, Graphite has a broader approval, being mentioned in 97 company stacks & 21 developers stacks; compared to Cacti, which is listed in 5 company stacks and 5 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
What is Cacti?
What is Graphite?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions