Codebox vs Nitrous.IO: What are the differences?
What is Codebox? Cloud IDE as a Service. FriendCode was created in 2013 with the vision of creating powerful development tools, tackling issues like collaboration, cloud development and many others. We are building Codebox, an open source Cloud IDE, than can run not only on the cloud, but on your desktop or your server as well. Codebox.io lets you host and manage Codebox instances online as a service using a dashboard or an API.
What is Nitrous.IO? Making coding in the cloud a reality. Get setup lightning fast in the cloud & code from anywhere, on any machine.
Codebox and Nitrous.IO can be categorized as "Cloud IDE" tools.
Some of the features offered by Codebox are:
- Unlimited private repositories.- Create a repository and import your code from any existing cloud filesystem.
- Go Social.- Collaborate, chat, share with friends and colleagues. Making coding social
- Build, Run, Debug.- In one click, Compile and Run your code directly on the cloud from your web interface.
On the other hand, Nitrous.IO provides the following key features:
- Code from Anywhere- When you need to fix that emergency bug while on the beach.
- Get Setup Fast- It only takes a few seconds to get from signup to a fully loaded stack.
- Not just a Web IDE- Use Vim or Emacs to edit your code, from the terminal or your browser.
What is Codebox?
What is Nitrous.IO?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Codebox?
What are the cons of using Nitrous.IO?
What companies use Codebox?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
What tools integrate with Codebox?
I have used this product for over a year now and I find it a wonderful addition to my workflow. However, in the time that I have been using it, Shpakovski have updated Codebox 0 times. No upgrades. No additions to the code base. No extended customisation. No extended personalisation. Nothing. Poor form Codebox.
Nothing but good things to say about Nitrous; it's fast, reliable, easy to use and appears to have very few chinks in the armour.
It integrates easily with Github, easy to install Drupal, and amazingly enough it runs Magento well straight off the bat!
I use Nitrous.io as my primary development environment now for MeteorJS app development. I can work from anywhere, anytime. The environments are reliable, fast, and support is good. Been hacking away for about 3 months full-time and no hitches.
When I tried to clone my GitHub repo, it failed with a mysterious error. Grrr.
Should be removed