CodeMirror vs TextMate: What are the differences?
CodeMirror and TextMate belong to "Text Editor" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by CodeMirror are:
- Support for over 60 languages out of the box
- A powerful, composable language mode system
- Autocompletion (XML)
On the other hand, TextMate provides the following key features:
- Ability to Search and Replace in a Project
- Auto-Indent for Common Actions Like Pasting Text
- Auto-Pairing of Brackets and Other Characters
"Integrable in your application" is the top reason why over 3 developers like CodeMirror, while over 16 developers mention "Syntax highlighting" as the leading cause for choosing TextMate.
CodeMirror is an open source tool with 18K GitHub stars and 3.92K GitHub forks. Here's a link to CodeMirror's open source repository on GitHub.
According to the StackShare community, CodeMirror has a broader approval, being mentioned in 24 company stacks & 11 developers stacks; compared to TextMate, which is listed in 13 company stacks and 11 developer stacks.