Deis vs Jelastic: What are the differences?
Deis: Open Source PaaS that builds upon Docker and CoreOS to provide a lightweight PaaS with a Heroku-inspired workflow. Deis can deploy any application or service that can run inside a Docker container. In order to be scaled horizontally, applications must follow Heroku's 12-factor methodology and store state in external backing services; Jelastic: Java and PHP Cloud Hosting. Jelastic is the next generation of Java hosting platforms which can run and scale ANY Java application with no code changes required.
Deis and Jelastic can be primarily classified as "Platform as a Service" tools.
Some of the features offered by Deis are:
- Deis can deploy any language or framework using a Dockerfile
- If you don't have a Dockerfile, Deis includes Heroku buildpacks for Ruby, Python, Node.js, Java, Clojure, Scala, Play, PHP, Perl, Dart and Go.
- Deis can be deployed on any system that supports CoreOS including your workstation, as well as most public clouds, private clouds and bare metal.
On the other hand, Jelastic provides the following key features:
- Set up environment in seconds
- No installation or configuration
- No APIs to code to
"12-factor methodology" is the top reason why over 15 developers like Deis, while over 7 developers mention "Managed hosting" as the leading cause for choosing Jelastic.
Deis is an open source tool with 6.12K GitHub stars and 863 GitHub forks. Here's a link to Deis's open source repository on GitHub.