Google Cloud Bigtable vs Cloud Firestore: What are the differences?
Developers describe Google Cloud Bigtable as "The same database that powers Google Search, Gmail and Analytics". Google Cloud Bigtable offers you a fast, fully managed, massively scalable NoSQL database service that's ideal for web, mobile, and Internet of Things applications requiring terabytes to petabytes of data. Unlike comparable market offerings, Cloud Bigtable doesn't require you to sacrifice speed, scale, or cost efficiency when your applications grow. Cloud Bigtable has been battle-tested at Google for more than 10 years—it's the database driving major applications such as Google Analytics and Gmail. On the other hand, Cloud Firestore is detailed as "NoSQL database built for global apps". Cloud Firestore is a NoSQL document database that lets you easily store, sync, and query data for your mobile and web apps - at global scale.
Google Cloud Bigtable and Cloud Firestore can be categorized as "NoSQL Database as a Service" tools.
Some of the features offered by Google Cloud Bigtable are:
- Unmatched Performance: Single-digit millisecond latency and over 2X the performance per dollar of unmanaged NoSQL alternatives.
- Open Source Interface: Because Cloud Bigtable is accessed through the HBase API, it is natively integrated with much of the existing big data and Hadoop ecosystem and supports Google’s big data products. Additionally, data can be imported from or exported to existing HBase clusters through simple bulk ingestion tools using industry-standard formats.
- Low Cost: By providing a fully managed service and exceptional efficiency, Cloud Bigtable’s total cost of ownership is less than half the cost of its direct competition.
On the other hand, Cloud Firestore provides the following key features:
- Documents and collections with powerful querying
- iOS, Android, and Web SDKs with offline data access
- Real-time data synchronization
"High performance" is the top reason why over 4 developers like Google Cloud Bigtable, while over 2 developers mention "Easy to use" as the leading cause for choosing Cloud Firestore.
According to the StackShare community, Cloud Firestore has a broader approval, being mentioned in 60 company stacks & 118 developers stacks; compared to Google Cloud Bigtable, which is listed in 23 company stacks and 35 developer stacks.