What is Cloudant?
Who uses Cloudant?
Why developers like Cloudant?
Here are some stack decisions, common use cases and reviews by companies and developers who chose Cloudant in their tech stack.
As a side project, I was building a note taking app that needed to synchronize between the client and the server so that it would work offline. At first I used Firebase to store the data on the server and wrote my own code to cache Firebase data in local storage and synchronize it. This was brittle and not performant. I figured that someone else must have solved this in a better way so I went looking for a better solution.
I needed a tool where I could write the data once and it would write to client and server, and when clients came back on line they would automatically catch the client up. I also needed conflict resolution. I was thrilled to discover Pouchdb and its server-side counterpart CouchDB. Together, they met nearly all of my requirements and were very easy to implement - I was able to remove a ton of custom code and have found the synchronization to be very robust. Pouchdb 7 has improved mobile support too, so I can run the app on iOS or Android browsers.
My Couchdb instance is actually a Cloudant instance running on IBM Bluemix. For my fairly low level of API usage, it's been totally free, and it has a decent GUI for managing users and replications.
- Managed- Cloudant's big data experts monitor your data 24/7 to ensure its high availability and safety.
- Distributed Multi-Master Database- All read and write transactions can be synced across Cloudant's global data network without global locks, providing true high availability of your data.
- Geo-load Balancing- To keep latency low, our geo-load balancing infrastructure routes requests to the copies of the data that are geographically closest to the requestor.
- Mobile Sync- Cloudant not only syncs between data centers around the world, but also between data centers and mobile devices.
- Incremental MapReduce- Unlike Hadoop, Cloudant’s Incremental MapReduce keeps indexes up-to-date with new transactions and updates without requiring a full reindexing of your data.
- Integrated Lucene Search- High-performance full-text indexing and search, without the difficulty and cost of managing text and operational data in separate databases.