Google Cloud Messaging vs OneSignal: What are the differences?
Developers describe Google Cloud Messaging as "Simple and reliable messaging to reach over a billion devices". Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) is a free service that enables developers to send messages between servers and client apps. This includes downstream messages from servers to client apps, and upstream messages from client apps to servers. On the other hand, OneSignal is detailed as "Free Mobile and Web Push Notifications". Free mobile and web push notification service.
Google Cloud Messaging and OneSignal can be categorized as "Mobile Push Messaging" tools.
Some of the features offered by Google Cloud Messaging are:
- Versatile Messaging Targets: Distribute messages to your client app in any of three ways — to single devices, to groups of devices, or to devices subscribed to topics.
- Downstream Messaging: For purposes such as alerting users, chat messaging or kicking off background processing before the user opens the client app, GCM provides a reliable and battery-efficient connection between your server and devices.
- Upstream Messaging: Send acknowledgments, chats, and other messages from devices back to your server over GCM’s reliable and battery-efficient connection channel.
On the other hand, OneSignal provides the following key features:
- Multiplatform notifications
- Web Push Support
- Safari Push Notifications
"Free" is the primary reason why developers consider Google Cloud Messaging over the competitors, whereas "More parametrable" was stated as the key factor in picking OneSignal.
According to the StackShare community, OneSignal has a broader approval, being mentioned in 55 company stacks & 15 developers stacks; compared to Google Cloud Messaging, which is listed in 18 company stacks and 8 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Google Cloud Messaging?
What is OneSignal?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions