Hexo vs VuePress: What are the differences?
What is Hexo? A fast, simple & powerful blog framework, powered by Node.js. Hexo is a fast, simple and powerful blog framework. It parses your posts with Markdown or other render engine and generates static files with the beautiful theme. All of these just take seconds.
What is VuePress? A static-site generator built by the Vue.js team. A minimalistic static site generator with a Vue-powered theming system, and a default theme optimized for writing technical documentation. It was created to support the documentation needs of Vue's own sub projects.
Hexo and VuePress can be primarily classified as "Static Site Generators" tools.
Some of the features offered by Hexo are:
- Blazing Fast - Node.js brings you incredible generating speed. Hundreds of files take only seconds to build.
- Markdown Support - All features of GitHub Flavored Markdown are supported. You can even use most Octopress plugins in Hexo.
- One-Command Deployment - You only need one command to deploy your site to GitHub Pages, Heroku or other sites.
On the other hand, VuePress provides the following key features:
- Built-in markdown extensions optimized for technical documentation
- Ability to leverage Vue inside markdown files
- Vue-powered custom theme system
Hexo and VuePress are both open source tools. Hexo with 27.1K GitHub stars and 3.6K forks on GitHub appears to be more popular than VuePress with 13.2K GitHub stars and 1.9K GitHub forks.
According to the StackShare community, VuePress has a broader approval, being mentioned in 4 company stacks & 28 developers stacks; compared to Hexo, which is listed in 6 company stacks and 24 developer stacks.