Hexo vs Wintersmith: What are the differences?
Developers describe Hexo as "A fast, simple & powerful blog framework, powered by Node.js". Hexo is a fast, simple and powerful blog framework. It parses your posts with Markdown or other render engine and generates static files with the beautiful theme. All of these just take seconds. On the other hand, Wintersmith is detailed as "Flexible, minimalistic, multi-platform static site generator built on top of node.js". Wintersmith is a simple yet flexible static site generator. It takes contents (markdown, less, scripts, etc), transforms them using plugins and outputs a static website (html, css, images, etc) that you can host anywhere.
Hexo and Wintersmith belong to "Static Site Generators" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Hexo are:
- Blazing Fast - Node.js brings you incredible generating speed. Hundreds of files take only seconds to build.
- Markdown Support - All features of GitHub Flavored Markdown are supported. You can even use most Octopress plugins in Hexo.
- One-Command Deployment - You only need one command to deploy your site to GitHub Pages, Heroku or other sites.
On the other hand, Wintersmith provides the following key features:
- Flexible - Wintersmith tries not to put any limitations on how you work with your content. You can transform it using plugins and structure it as you please.
- Templating - Use your favorite templating engine, it comes bundled with a Jade plugin and there is community made plugins for most other node.js templating engines.
- Markdown - No more fiddling around with WYSIWYG editors. Once you start using Markdown to author your content you'll never look back!
Hexo and Wintersmith are both open source tools. It seems that Hexo with 27.1K GitHub stars and 3.6K forks on GitHub has more adoption than Wintersmith with 3.48K GitHub stars and 349 GitHub forks.
What is Hexo?
What is Wintersmith?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Hexo?
What are the cons of using Wintersmith?
What companies use Wintersmith?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
Content for blog posts and pages is written in markdown format, using Emacs. Hexo generates the site using my own customised theme. The site is then deployed to Github pages
To build my site blog. I also created a tag plugin for Hexo that enables you to embed Deezer objects in your page.