Litmus vs MailHog: What are the differences?
Litmus: Email Testing and Email Marketing Analytics *. Litmus is a testing service for web and marketing professionals. It allows people to cross-browser test their websites, and test their email newsletters across a range of email clients and spam filters; *MailHog:** Web and API based SMTP testing. It is an email testing tool for developers. You can configure your application to use MailHog for SMTP delivery. You can view messages in the web UI, or retrieve them with the JSON API.
Litmus and MailHog can be primarily classified as "Email Testing" tools.
Some of the features offered by Litmus are:
- You send us a copy of your email design, either by uploading the HTML or sending us a test email. Within a couple of minutes you'll see screenshots of your email as it's rendered by all the different email clients. Made a change? One click starts a re-test.
- PREVIEW IN REAL EMAIL CLIENTS- Litmus shows you screenshots of your email newsletter as it looks across all major email clients.
- CHECK ON MOBILE DEVICES- See your email on the most popular mobile devices. Litmus even lets you realistically scroll your email on the device.
On the other hand, MailHog provides the following key features:
- ESMTP server implementing RFC5321
- Support for SMTP AUTH (RFC4954) and PIPELINING (RFC2920)
- Web interface to view messages (plain text, HTML or source)
MailHog is an open source tool with 5.16K GitHub stars and 342 GitHub forks. Here's a link to MailHog's open source repository on GitHub.