Mina vs Puppet Labs: What are the differences?
What is Mina? Really fast deployer and server automation tool. Mina works really fast because it's a deploy Bash script generator. It generates an entire procedure as a Bash script and runs it remotely in the server. Compare this to the likes of Vlad or Capistrano, where each command is run separately on their own SSH sessions. Mina only creates one SSH session per deploy, minimizing the SSH connection overhead.
What is Puppet Labs? Server automation framework and application. Puppet is an automated administrative engine for your Linux, Unix, and Windows systems and performs administrative tasks (such as adding users, installing packages, and updating server configurations) based on a centralized specification.
Mina and Puppet Labs belong to "Server Configuration and Automation" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Mina are:
- Safe deploys. New releases are built on a temp folder. If the deploy script fails at any point, the build is deleted and it’d be as if nothing happened.
- Locks. Deploy scripts rely on a lockfile ensuring only one deploy can happen at a time.
- Works with anything. While Mina is built with Rails projects it mind, it can be used on just about any type of project deployable via SSH, Ruby or not.
On the other hand, Puppet Labs provides the following key features:
- Insight- Puppet Enterprise's event inspector gives immediate and actionable insight into your environment, showing you what changed, where and how by classes, nodes and resources.
- Discovery- Puppet Enterprise delivers a dynamic and fully-pluggable discovery service that allows you to take advantage of any data source or real-time query results to quickly locate, identify and group cloud nodes.
- Provisioning- Automatically provision and configure bare metal, virtual, and private or public cloud capacity, all from a single pane. Save time getting your cloud projects off the ground by reusing the same configuration modules you set up for your physical deployments.
"Easy, fast and light weight" is the primary reason why developers consider Mina over the competitors, whereas "Devops" was stated as the key factor in picking Puppet Labs.
Mina and Puppet Labs are both open source tools. Puppet Labs with 5.37K GitHub stars and 2.1K forks on GitHub appears to be more popular than Mina with 4.05K GitHub stars and 453 GitHub forks.
Uber Technologies, Twitch, and PayPal are some of the popular companies that use Puppet Labs, whereas Mina is used by Master Of Code Global, deppbot, and Bivee. Puppet Labs has a broader approval, being mentioned in 180 company stacks & 49 developers stacks; compared to Mina, which is listed in 8 company stacks and 9 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Mina?
What is Puppet Labs?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
What tools integrate with Mina?
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions