What is Apache Ant?
Ant is a Java-based build tool. In theory, it is kind of like Make, without Make's wrinkles and with the full portability of pure Java code.
Apache Ant is a tool in the Java Build Tools category of a tech stack.
Apache Ant is an open source tool with 247 GitHub stars and 254 GitHub forks. Here’s a link to Apache Ant's open source repository on GitHub
Who uses Apache Ant?
31 companies use Apache Ant in their tech stacks, including LinkedIn, Webedia, and Google Cloud Partner.
76 developers use Apache Ant.
Apache Ant Integrations
Why developers like Apache Ant?
Here’s a list of reasons why companies and developers use Apache Ant
Apache Ant's features
- The most complete Java build and deployment tool available.
- Platform neutral and can handle platform specific properties such as file separators
- Can be used to perform platform specific tasks such as modifying the modified time of a file using 'touch' command
- Scripts are written using plain XML. If you are already familiar with XML, you can learn pretty quickly
- Automate complicated repetitive tasks
- Interface to develop custom tasks
- Can be easily invoked from the command line and it can integrate with free and commercial IDEs
Apache Ant Alternatives & Comparisons
What are some alternatives to Apache Ant?
See all alternatives
Standard Eclipse package suited for Java and plug-in development plus adding new plugins; already includes Git, Marketplace Client, source code and developer documentation. Click here to file a bug against Eclipse Platform.
Gradle is a build tool with a focus on build automation and support for multi-language development. If you are building, testing, publishing, and deploying software on any platform, Gradle offers a flexible model that can support the entire development lifecycle from compiling and packaging code to publishing web sites.
Maven allows a project to build using its project object model (POM) and a set of plugins that are shared by all projects using Maven, providing a uniform build system. Once you familiarize yourself with how one Maven project builds you automatically know how all Maven projects build saving you immense amounts of time when trying to navigate many projects.
Deliver better, safer software even faster with software supply chain automation.
Bazel is a build tool that builds code quickly and reliably. It is used to build the majority of Google's software, and thus it has been designed to handle build problems present in Google's development environment.