What is Eucalyptus?
Eucalyptus is open source software for building private, AWS-compatible IT, QA, and developer clouds. It makes it easy to deliver cloud computing, just like AWS, from within your data center.
Eucalyptus is a tool in the Open Source Cloud category of a tech stack.
Who uses Eucalyptus?
4 companies reportedly use Eucalyptus in their tech stacks, including AppDynamics, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and Sony.
6 developers on StackShare have stated that they use Eucalyptus.
Why developers like Eucalyptus?
Here’s a list of reasons why companies and developers use Eucalyptus
Be the first to leave a pro
- Hybrid Cloud Management - Launch instances, create snapshots and manage autoscaling groups in either your private or public clouds from a single environment. Now the same powerful and easy to use self-service interface that provisions and manages Eucalyptus Cloud resources can manage your AWS cloud resources.
- AWS Compatibility - Eucalyptus provides industry-leading compatibility with popular Amazon Web Services (AWS) APIs including EC2, S3, Elastic Block Store (EBS), Identity and Access Management (IAM), Auto Scaling, Elastic Load Balancing (ELB), and CloudWatch.
- Compute - Eucalyptus allows you to use industry-standard servers, storage, networking, and virtualization technologies to deliver cost-effective, AWS-compatible cloud services in your datacenter. Eucalyptus is compatible with AWS’s EC2 and allows you to easily deploy compute resources and efficiently increase or decrease compute capacity based on application demands.
- Networking - Eucalyptus offers flexible and scalable virtual networking capabilities compatible with AWS Elastic IPs, Security Groups, and Elastic Load Balancing.
- Storage - Eucalyptus provides S3-compatible object storage and EBS-compatible block storage using industry-standard storage hardware to deliver against a variety of application performance, cost, and reliability requirements.
- Self-service Provisioning - In addition to providing REST-based APIs for programmatic access, Eucalyptus includes an easy to use web-based console to provide self-service provisioning of cloud resources to users.
- Cloud Management - Eucalyptus allows administrators to easily manage their cloud via REST-based APIs, command line interface (CLI), or from a web-based console.
Eucalyptus Alternatives & Comparisons
What are some alternatives to Eucalyptus?
OpenStack is a cloud operating system that controls large pools of compute, storage, and networking resources throughout a datacenter, all managed through a dashboard that gives administrators control while empowering their users to provision resources through a web interface.
It is open source software designed to deploy and manage large networks of virtual machines, as a highly available, highly scalable Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) cloud computing platform.
It provides a simple but feature-rich and flexible solution for the comprehensive management of virtualized data centers to enable on-premise enterprise clouds in existing infrastructures. It can be primarily used as a virtualization tool to manage your virtual infrastructure in the data-center or cluster, which is usually referred as Private Cloud. It supports Hybrid Cloud to combine local infrastructure with public cloud-based infrastructure, enabling highly scalable hosting environments.
Software as a service platform for hosting providers.
- No public GitHub repository available -